Monday, March 14, 2011

Barbecue Pork Shepherd's Pie


2 large russet potatoes (about 1 lb), peeled and cut into 1/2 in pieces
4 garlic cloves, peeled, divided
1 cup (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
2 tbsp milk
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp salt, divided
1 can (14.5 oz) petite diced tomatoes, undreained
3/4 cup ketchup
3 tbsp Smoky Barbecue Rub, divided (if you don't have don't sweat but pampered chef and I have plan to substitute)
1 1/4 lbs pork tenderloin
1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed

Preheat oven to 400 F. Combine potatoes, two of the garlic cloves and enough water to cover in microwave safe dish. Microwave, covered on high 13-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain. Add 1/2 cup of the cheese, milk, butter and 1/2 tsp salt. Mash until smooth. Set aside.

Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, ketchup, 2 tbsp of the rub and remaining garlic pressed. trim fat and silver skin from pork. Slice work in half lengthwise; thinly slice crosswise. Combine pork, remaining salt, remaining rub and black pepper.

Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering. Add pork. Cook without stirring 3-5 minutes or until browned on one side. Add onion and carrots; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until carrots begin to soften. Stir in tomato mixture; bring to a simmer. Remove Skillet from heat; sprinkle with peas. Scoop potatoes evenly over peas; flatten slightly. Place skillet in oven; bake, uncovered 10-12 minutes or until is bubbly. Carefully remove from oven. Sprinkle with remainning cheese; cover and let stand 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Feel free to cook the potatoes however you want. With the pending departure from Fort Rucker, I decided to use the rest of the box mashed potatoes we had. Turned out just fine. I add cilantro and dill to the potatoes. James and I prefer fresh to canned. So we got 2 fresh tomatoes and chopped those up. Now it says they are to be undrained, so you kind need that sauce water stuff. I add some Worcestershire sauce, some chipotle liquid smoke and the rest of the barbecue sauce we had (going along with that whole got use up things because of the pcsing). We substituted the barbecue rub with mccormick grill mate smokehouse maple. Pampered Chef suggest using 3/4 cup of barbecue sauce instead of ketchup and Smoky Barbecue Rub. To the pork tenderloin I mixed it with some mccormick grill mate smokehouse maple, spciy montreal steak seasoning and Mrs. Dash southwest Chipotle seasoning. I'm not sure if my skillet is oven safe. It probably is, but it's really nice and my Aunt Linda got for me as a shower present, so I'm not about to stick in the oven. I used my rectangular prytex dish. I aslo put the cheese on top before it went in the oven.

This came from The Pampered Chef More Weekday Dinners - Done. When you use a pampered chef cookbook it tells you what pampered Chef item to use. I left that part out.

Side note, it smelled so good and we were so hungry that I completely forgot about my blog and dug in first and took the picture later.

No comments:

Post a Comment